Last Updated: May 11, 2018
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect the information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you fill out a form, send us an email, sign up to receive email or text message updates, request information, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, create an account, participate in a contest or promotion, make a donation or purchase, communicate with us via third party social media sites, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name, email address, social media handles, user names, postal address, phone number, mobile number, credit card information, location, and other contact or identifying information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Sites
When you access or use our Sites, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Sites, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Sites.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Sites, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to improve our Sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our Sites are popular, and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as "tracking pixels"). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Sites or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see "Your Choices" below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Sites. For example if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information, and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site. We may also use such information for list-matching purposes.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Sites and send you confirmations, receipts, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Provide and deliver the information or products you request, process donations and transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices,
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests, provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- Help connect you with others and solicit volunteers, donations and support New Virginia Majority and for issues and organizations that we support;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Sites;
- Personalize and improve the Sites and provide advertisements, content, or features that match user profiles or interests or that are based on the information you provide or the actions you take;
- Notify and contact contest or sweepstakes entrants; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
New Virginia Majority is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Sites or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
We will primarily be contacting you by email but may contact you via email, phone, and SMS text message. By signing up, and giving us your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from us. You may receive between 1-10 text messages from us a month, but, message frequency will vary based on user needs. Message and data rates may apply. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. By giving us your phone number, you agree to receive SMS automated text messages and automated phone calls.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles, or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims, or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of New Virginia Majority, its employees, volunteers, or others;
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
If you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith are publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state, or local leaders, or to the press.
Social Sharing Features
The Sites may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook "Like" button), which let you share actions you take on our Sites with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
For more information about Internet-based ads, or to opt-out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
We do not knowingly, directly, or passively, collect information from children under the age of 13. To respect the privacy of children and to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, children under the age of 13 should not provide any Personal Information on this Site. We ask that parents supervise their children while online.
Links To Other Sites
Please be aware that we may provide links to third-party Web sites as a service to our visitors. We are not responsible for the content or information collection practices of those sites. Please note that these sites’ privacy policies may differ from ours. We encourage you to review and understand their privacy practices before providing them with information.
New Virginia Majority takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies that may be used in connection with our Sites. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for more information. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Sites.
You may opt out of receiving text messages, updates, and newsletters by following the instructions in those emails or text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you other types of emails, such as those about your use of the Sites or any donations or transactions.
Community Rules of Conduct and Engagement
By signing up for an event, we assume that you will fully abide by our Community Standards and Rules of Engagement. If a volunteer is in violation of any one of these standards, they will be removed and barred from future events at our discretion. We do this in order to protect our staff and volunteers as well as create a safe and welcoming environment.
You will respect the NVM staff who have organized this meeting as well as your fellow volunteers by being conscious of our time restraints, avoiding using harsh/foul language, and giving everyone a chance to speak. We will assume the good intent of all participants and staff.
NVM organizes around and centers the needs of working-class communities of color. Please keep in mind that the strategies and messaging we use have been developed to keep those communities at the center of our work. Therefore, the strategies and messaging we use may not match up with your specific expectations and may be different from what you've experienced working with other volunteer organizations. Please keep this in mind as we work together to build a more equitable Virginia that is home to all.
You recognize the reality that there could be changes regarding the scheduling of this event and its agenda. We will do our best to give you advanced notice if and when changes are made.
You will NOT share the zoom information or any internal documentation with anyone else. We ask this for our own security.