We're hiring for a communications director. Learn more, share and apply!
We are currently hiring for the following position:
Communications Director - Alexandria, VA or Richmond, VA
New Virginia Majority
New Virginia Majority (NVM) is Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization. We mobilize and organize voters of color and residents across the state. Our year-round approach to organizing involves mass scale voter outreach, linked to community organizing campaigns and intensive leadership development. NVM is currently expanding its team. We are seeking conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to social change.
The Communications Director reports to the Co-Executive Director. S/he will work with senior management to help set, guide and implement the strategy for all communications – digital and earned media and to consistently articulate NVM’s mission and campaigns. Responsibilities include coordinating messages with staff; securing earned media; writing, design, and production of print materials; continuous improvement of the website; and expansion of social media.
Communications Strategy –
- Collaborate with senior management to develop communications strategies that will broaden campaign reach and deepen impact
- Develop and refine VNM’s values-based messaging that engages a broad audience
- Lead the generation of online content that engages the community and leads to measurable action
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, including but not limited to campaign literature, brochures, e-blasts, social media, and website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
Media Relations –
- Cultivate and develop strategic media relationships at the national, state and local levels; translate complicated policy issues into messages that resonate with media
- Generate positive media coverage
- Monitor national, state and local press coverage
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
Special Projects –
- Work with senior management and Board of Directors to support our 2016 effort to register over 100,000 Virginians.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in strategic communications
- Must be flexible, creative and assume high accountability for all areas of responsibility
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Ability to think strategically, juggle multiple priorities, and manage time effectively
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Strong communication, interpersonal, motivational skills, work ethic, and desire for political change are essential.
- Background and commitment to social justice work and demonstration of strong personal commitment to NVM's mission and values.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Knowledge and use of Nation Builder CRM software.
- Knowledge and use of Nation Builder or WordPress CMS for website content maintenance
- Experience writing for the web and other digital communication channels
- Social media proficiency – Facebook, Twitter, Flickr
- Familiarity with design software such as Adobe InDesign
- Knowledge and use of National Builder or WordPress CMS for website content maintenance.
- Experience writing for the web and other digital communication channels.
Salary & Benefits:
This position is full-time and is eligible for NVM’s full package of benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as monthly phone and transportation allowances. Salary commensurate with skills and experience. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, salary history and 3 references to HR@newvirginiamajority.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
New Virginia Majority is an equal opportunity employer.