Social Media Intern - Norfolk
New Virginia Majority (NVM) is Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization. We mobilize and organize voters of color and residents across the state. Our year-round approach to organizing involves mass scale voter outreach, linked to community organizing campaigns and intensive leadership development. We are seeking a conscious individual with a deep commitment to social change and a strong knowledge and understanding of the digital media landscape, including various social media websites.
The intern selected for this position will need strong critical thinking skills and the desire to strengthen their social media skills. The intern will be expected to create and edit compelling content for multiple online and social media platforms on a consistent basis, deliver a consistent tone and voice across all communication platforms, and manage multiple projects. Previous knowledge or experience with public health, environmental justice, climate justice, human rights and civil liberties, or the Movement for Black Lives preferred.
· Manage presence in social networking sites including, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
· Collaborate with team members on editorial calendar for social media channels, and contribute content 3-4 times/week
· Generate weekly content suitable for campaign and social networking
· Become an advocate of the campaign in social media spaces and forums, managing and engaging in dialog and answering questions where appropriate
· Using benchmarks, measure the impact of the social media campaign. Analyze, review and report on effectiveness of campaigns to maximize results
· Maintain consistency of organizations own unique communications style
· Participate in the content production of email marketing and various online projects, when necessary.
Students applying for this internship should be Marketing, Political Science, or Communications or other relevant majors, with experience in media/social media and or journalism and a solid understanding of African American markets.
Proficient in social media
Proficient in use of MS Office Products
Proficient use of Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe products.
Critical thinking; problem solving, analysis, troubleshooting, judgment, originality, and leadership.
This is a 8 to 10 week fall internship for students. A stipend will be provided. Please submit resume, cover letter and references to [email protected]
New Virginia Majority is an equal opportunity employer.