Tenants and Workers United, the sister organization of New Virginia Majority, has a 30-year history as Virginia’s leading low-income community-based organization. We bring together communities of color - youth, workers, women - through campaigns that win real changes that improve people’s lives and address root causes of poverty and oppression.
TWU is looking to hire a full-time community organizer who will identify and develop leaders, candidates and precinct level activists, contest and win local elections and campaign for local policies that are democratic, just and sustainable. The organizer will recruit members, conduct political education trainings and work with members to create community based leadership teams / chapters that can mobilize to conduct direct action-oriented campaigns to win local, state and federal policy initiatives. Organizer will build 2 Tenants and Workers United chapters in Northern Virginia.
- Recruit members through house visits and other methods of grassroots outreach
- Organize and sustain 2 chapters
- Mobilize members to campaign events, actions and other organizational activities
- Conduct political education trainings for members and leaders on racism, sexism, homophobia, and other related topics
- Track all member outreach, member recruitment and retention, and member turnout
- Provide support to leaders in executing tactics and facilitating meetings
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing, and implementation
- Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies
- Plan and facilitate member meetings
Admin and Other
- Participate in other organizational activities, including communications, fundraising and other planning and study processes.
Required Experience and Skills
- Minimum 1 year of grassroots organizing experience and an understanding of principles of grassroots organizing
- Experience organizing immigrants and immigrant communities
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, and also meet project deadlines
- Fluency in Spanish
- A driver’s license and access to a car
- A minimum 1 year commitment
Preferred Additional Experience
- Experience in developing campaign strategy, and planning and implementing direct action organizing campaigns
- Developing and leading political education trainings for members
- Producing flyers and other materials required for grassroots outreach
Salary and Benefits
The position is full time. Salary commensurate with experience. The employer of record is New Virginia Majority which provides excellent benefits, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, salary history, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply
Please no calls.
Position is available immediately and is open until filled.
TWU, the sister organization of New Virginia Majority, is a non-profit organization based in Alexandria, Va. and is an equal opportunity employer.