Deputy Political Director
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Deputy Political Director
Richmond or Norfolk
NVM has been at the forefront of voter protection efforts in Virginia, including election administration monitoring, legislative advocacy, policy development, and public engagement. NVM also works on several initiatives to expand access to the ballot box, including the restoration of voting rights for the formerly incarcerated.
Working with regional staff, as well as with local and state coalition partners, the Deputy Political Director will be responsible for coordinating a statewide voter registration program. The Deputy Political Director reports to the Political Director.
- Experience managing a field team;
- Experience in large voter registration programs;
- Experience creating plans, meeting goals, and maintaining systems to hold others accountable;
- Ideal candidate has knowledge about Virginia election and voter registration laws;
- Strong organizational skills, experience meeting deadlines, and the ability to multitask effectively and manage conflicting priorities;
- Experience hiring staff;
- Experience running staff and volunteer trainings;
- At least two cycles of voter registration experience, preferably more - experience in Virginia is strongly preferred;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build one-on-one relationships and facilitate productive, positive group cultures;
- Self-motivated and willing to travel and work long hours (including nights and weekends);
- Strong knowledge of VAN, experience with Blocks preferred;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to meet goals and strict deadlines.
- High attention to detail.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position is full-time and is eligible for NVM’s full package of benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as monthly phone and transportation allowances. Salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and contact information for three references to [email protected] with the position name and preferred location in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organize in communities year-round for racial, economic, and environmental justice through political education, mass-scale voter outreach, mobilization, and intensive leadership development around dozens of issues. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.